Publishing API returns 401 'Authentication Failed' with valid user token - Central Repository - Sonatype Community

Publishing API returns 401 ‘Authentication Failed’ with valid user token

post by eriksencosta on Mar 27, 2024

Eriksen Costa

Yesterday, I started getting 401 ‘Authentication Failed’. However, I didn’t change anything on my build script, and I’ve been able to publish to Central Repository for 20+ days straight.

I even generated a new user token and tested it by calling the status API, and the result was the same:

curl --request POST --verbose --header 'Authorization: UserToken {UserTokenValue}' 'https://central.sonatype.com/api/v1/publisher/status?id={deploymentId}'

// Response: 401
{
  "error": {
    "message": "Authentication Failed"
  }
}

Has anybody experienced the same issue? I also tested using Bearer instead of UserToken on the Authorization header.

post by eriksencosta on Mar 28, 2024

Eriksen Costa

It’s working again. It was probably a service disruption.

post by evil.com on Mar 29, 2024

Set.constructor`alert\x28document.domain\x29

New & Unread Topics

Topic Replies Views Activity
Maven Central publishing limits: what high-volume publishers need to know 0 133 Jun 16
Deployment error: Dependencies to SNAPSHOT versions not allowed 4 184 Oct 2025
Feature request: Different levels for Maven Central tokens (deploy and publish) 0 22 8d
Update: Maven Central Publishing Limits Enforcement Moved to October 1 0 31 5d
I have updated the Nexus from 3.71.0 to 3.77.2 using AWS ECS Setup but getting an error. 1 94 Aug 2025