Nexus Repository WebUI stuck at Initializing - Sonatype Nexus Repository - Sonatype Community
Nexus Repository WebUI stuck at Initializing
post by christopher.miller on Feb 26, 2021
Have just installed the Nexus Repository Manager v3.29.2-02 on a RHEL 8.3 x86_64 physical server with plenty of RAM (124 GB) and plenty of CPU (16).
Followed the installation documentation and the install went without error. Also installed java thru dnf, which is v 1.8.0_282. However upon pointing my browser to localhost:8081, I get the Nexus Repo Manager Web UI, however it continues to show Initializing and does not proceed any further.
Upon inspecting the nexus.log, there are a lot of error entries and this one below occurs after starting Nexus
2021-02-26 11:21:42,020-0500 WARN [qtp506977302-195] *UNKNOWN org.sonatype.nexus.rapture.internal.state.StateComponent - Failed to get state from com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$1 (ignored)
com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Unable to provision, see the following errors:
1) Error injecting constructor, java.io.FileNotFoundException: NONE (No such file or directory)
at com.sonatype.nexus.ssl.plugin.internal.TrustStoreImpl.<init>(TrustStoreImpl.java:84)
at / (via modules: org.sonatype.nexus.extender.modules.NexusBundleModule -> org.eclipse.sisu.space.SpaceModule)
while locating com.sonatype.nexus.ssl.plugin.internal.TrustStoreImpl
while locating java.lang.Object annotated with *
at org.eclipse.sisu.wire.LocatorWiring
while locating org.sonatype.nexus.ssl.TrustStore
for the 5th parameter of org.sonatype.nexus.ldap.internal.realms.EnterpriseLdapManager.<init>(EnterpriseLdapManager.java:91)
at / (via modules: org.sonatype.nexus.extender.modules.NexusBundleModule -> org.eclipse.sisu.space.SpaceModule)
while locating org.sonatype.nexus.ldap.internal.realms.EnterpriseLdapManager
while locating java.lang.Object annotated with *
at org.eclipse.sisu.wire.LocatorWiring
while locating org.sonatype.nexus.ldap.internal.realms.LdapManager
for the 1st parameter of org.sonatype.nexus.ldap.internal.LdapUserManager.<init>(LdapUserManager.java:40)
at / (via modules: org.sonatype.nexus.extender.modules.NexusBundleModule -> org.eclipse.sisu.space.SpaceModule)
while locating org.sonatype.nexus.ldap.internal.LdapUserManager
while locating java.lang.Object annotated with *
Because we have a lot of hardware resources, I’ve modified nexus.vmoptions for > 32 GB and still having the same issue.
I’ve also tried to set JAVA_HOME to the following: /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.282.b08-2.el8_3.x86_64
One thing note, this OS has been hardened, and not sure if that would be the root cause or not at this time. However searching online, don’t see anyone else having the exact issue.
thanks
post by mpiggott on Feb 26, 2021
I believe you’ve specified a trust store that doesn’t exist in your configuration.
post by christopher.m.miller on Feb 28, 2021
I think you are referring to setting up SSL certs for Nexus, correct? I’m not familiar with Trust Store.
I can’t even log into the Nexus Repository Web UI, unless there is something I can do from the CLI, but this is a brand new install.
post by mpiggott on Mar 1, 2021
from the exception nexus hasn’t started properly its unlikely the UI will function.
post by christopher.m.miller on Mar 3, 2021
Don’t recall during the Nexus Repo install specifying Trust Store. I installed from source (nexus-3.29.2-02-unix.tar.gz)
I don’t see any documentation from Nexus/Sonatype where I could find this information to confirm that a Trust Store has been setup. I’ve looked under /opt/nexus/nexus-3.29.2-02/bin/nexus.rc and nexus.vmpotions files and don’t see any entries that relate to that. Maybe its in a different file…?
Looking at the Nexus documentation for SSL Certs, looks like I could create a self signed certificate and import it into /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.282.b08-2.el8_3.x86_64/lib/security.
SSL Certificate Guide – Sonatype Support?
But what I have in my $JAVA_HOME is different then above, which is the following:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-1.8.0.282.b08-2.el8_3.x86_64
It doesn’t have the /lib/security directory.
post by christopher.m.miller on Mar 23, 2021
Just wanted to report back.
The physical server that we installed Nexus, the OS (RHEL8) was hardened and that caused the install issue.
There are around 341 changes that were made and we can’t possibly figure out which one caused the issue. Therefore we’ve pivoted and going to run Nexus from a container.
Thanks for all of the help.
post by qlonix on Aug 24, 2021
i fixed this with:
yum reinstall ca-certificates
update-ca-trust
systemctl restart nexus
post by austinrussell2013 on Mar 5, 2024
I was able to resolve this issue by disabling FIPS
fips-mode-setup --disable
Additional STIG alterations that might be necessary are found here: Installing repo manager on RHEL 8 - #4 by daniel.babcock