Nexus failed to start - IllegalArgumentException: null - Sonatype Nexus Repository - Sonatype Community

Nexus failed to start - IllegalArgumentException: null

post by webwlf on Jul 17, 2022

Hello,

I’m using nexus-repository-manager version 3.40.101-2 on a debian machine (5.18.5-1).

Java is version 8.

Recently nexus stopped to start with the following error in the nexus.log:

root@AppArtifactory:/opt/sonatype/sonatype-work/nexus3/log# cat nexus.log

2022-07-17 12:18:26,646+0000 INFO \[FelixStartLevel\] *SYSTEM org.sonatype.nexus.pax.logging.NexusLogActivator - start

2022-07-17 12:18:26,963+0000 WARN \[FelixStartLevel\] *SYSTEM org.apache.karaf.features.internal.osgi.Activator - Error starting activator

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: null

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1314)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1237)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.osgi.Activator.doStart(Activator.java:156)

at org.apache.karaf.util.tracker.BaseActivator.start(BaseActivator.java:92)

at org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAction.java:698)

at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:2402)

at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2308)

at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1539)

at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

2022-07-17 12:18:27,024+0000 INFO \[FelixStartLevel\] *SYSTEM ROOT - bundle org.apache.felix.scr:2.1.30 (55) Starting with globalExtender setting: false

2022-07-17 12:18:27,028+0000 INFO \[FelixStartLevel\] *SYSTEM ROOT - bundle org.apache.felix.scr:2.1.30 (55) Version = 2.1.30

Is this a normal error message or is something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Wolfgang

post by tonio9666 on Jul 18, 2022

Recently I’ve came across exactly the same issue it was running for months and suddenly stopped. Without success yet.

post by tonio9666 on Jul 19, 2022

I’ve completely removed java from this machine and replaced every karaf related lib, still without success. Weird thing is that I’ve downloaded a fresh nexus tar from website and tried to run it and faced the same issue on this machine. I’ve completely copied whole nexus instance and run it on another container and worked without any problems, so in my opinion it is more system related than nexus itself. But if you will manage to find the issue it would be great

post by tonio9666 on Jul 20, 2022

I’ve found a workaround, not a solution.

I swapped regular openjdk-8-jre to openjdk-8-jre-headless and it worked, still don’t know why, but it works without a flaw.