Issues? Or something changed - cannot download artifact without user/pass prompt - Central Repository - Sonatype Community

Issues? Or something changed - cannot download artifact without user/pass prompt

post by nigel.l.jones on May 9, 2023

Nigel Jones

Trying to download in a script from maven central using a URL I’ve used plenty before – this fails.

Has something changed? The URL still seems to be in the current docs?

➜ /tmp wget "http://repository.sonatype.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=central-proxy&g=org.odpi.egeria&a=egeria-connector-xtdb&v=LATEST&c=jar-with-dependencies"

–2023-05-09 09:15:25-- http://repository.sonatype.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=central-proxy&g=org.odpi.egeria&a=egeria-connector-xtdb&v=LATEST&c=jar-with-dependencies

Resolving repository.sonatype.org ( repository.sonatype.org)… 35.153.240.1, 52.7.7.122

Connecting to repository.sonatype.org ( repository.sonatype.org)|35.153.240.1|:80… connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 301 Moved Permanently

Location: https://repository.sonatype.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=central-proxy&g=org.odpi.egeria&a=egeria-connector-xtdb&v=LATEST&c=jar-with-dependencies [following]

–2023-05-09 09:15:25-- https://repository.sonatype.org/service/local/artifact/maven/redirect?r=central-proxy&g=org.odpi.egeria&a=egeria-connector-xtdb&v=LATEST&c=jar-with-dependencies

Connecting to repository.sonatype.org ( repository.sonatype.org)|35.153.240.1|:443… connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 401 Unauthorized

Username/Password Authentication Failed.

post by nigel.l.jones on May 9, 2023

In case it was DNS or local network blocking, I tried from a cloud vm…

Same issue, from 52.7.7.122

post by nigel.l.jones on May 9, 2023

Still the same here - which is making me wonder if this is an intentional change ? Or my bad memory

post by nigel.l.jones on May 12, 2023

This is now working again

25 days later

post by dudi on Jun 6, 2023

I’m experiencing the same issue, this started today and have been going for a few hours now.

Seems like using queries like these just keeps throwing “401 - Unauthorized”.

@nigel.l.jones I also tried your link and indeed I get also a 401.

Anyone experience this?

I was thinking that maybe it is related to a recent incident in search.maven.org ( Maven Central Status - search.maven.org is down)

post by vito on Jun 6, 2023

Same here. Invalid URLs are correctly returning 404 with a descriptive error message, correct URLs returns 401. Anonymous authorisation also fails.

post by alexey.zakharchenko on Jun 7, 2023

Same issue.

Guys, can you prioritize this one, if you are going to fix it?

post by dudi on Jun 7, 2023

Maybe it’s related to this?

post by nigel.l.jones on Jun 12, 2023

As mentioned above by @dudi - this problem has resurfaced in the last week. It worked for a while after initially being reported, but is again broken (presuming the change wasn’t intentional)

post by mfrost on Jun 12, 2023

Hi all - I have made our team aware of this thread and will let you know of any updates I receive or info related to this issue. In the meantime, please let us know if anything changes. Thanks!

post by dudi on Jun 18, 2023

Still no changes

3 months later

post by ben.garrett on Sep 5, 2023

I’m also seeing the same 401 error; any update from your team @mfrost ?

post by mfrost on Sep 5, 2023

Hey @ben.garrett (and all) - thanks for following up. I checked back in with our team about this. It seems like you just want an API to call to download the latest version of an artifact on Maven Central.

The recommendation is to try, for example: https://search.maven.org/remote_content?g=com.datadoghq&a=dd-java-agent&v=LATEST

I should note that repository.sonatype.com is something our team does not recommend relying on at the moment.

post by jyoung on Sep 6, 2023

Thanks @mfrost . To note - we are currently transitioning search.maven.org to central.sonatype.com. While we have a roadmap to ensure API compatibility with search.maven.org, endpoints will be prioritized by usage and may not be available in the near term.

I would suggest downloading and parsing the maven-metadata.xml from http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/ to find the latest version until central.sonatype.com has the appropriate API capabilities for anything that is mission critical.